Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Walmart and Steroids and Ace of Cakes...Oh my.

I took Piper to our local Walmart today for the first time since she was diagnosed. I have to be honest, I am a Target girl. My budget, not so much, but my heart is true to the big red bulls eye. Walmart to me is sensory overload and not nearly enough shoes or earrings. And really, an in store McDonald's instead of Starbucks? Pshhh...nonsense.

Never the less, Piper was in awe. She was up in the front of the (incredibly icky, don't-go-there-I-just-don't-want-to-know) shopping cart in her ( oh thank you, smart inventor who knows that children need a fabric barrier to keep the icky Walmart cart germs away from their hands) seat cover just smiling and chatting up a storm. I was just one of a number of other mothers running into wally-world with one child while others were in school/at home/ locked in the car...and I have to tell you...I have never shopped at Walmart with such a carefree heart. Just wonderful.

At Pipers clinic appointment on Monday she had a LP (lumbar puncture) with a triple interthecal ( 2 types of chemo plus hydrocortisone) and a Vincristine push. She has never had any problems with sedation's and this time was no different. She began 5 days of dexamethesome steroid and I have already seen an increase in her appetite and a clingyness that only a steroid can bring...This mommy is more than a little psyched to go to her bi-annual haircut on Friday sans children. I may even get wild and crazy and get highlights. (what???) Pipers ANC was about the same and I had a chance to ask Dr. B, who was doing her LP, if that was a concern and he said no. Apparently, on this protocol, Pipers ANC is supposed to remain high unless she is receiving High Dose chemo or the 5 days of etoposide/cyclophospmide/mesna. Nice to know and maybe now I can calm myself down a bit.

One more thing. There is a show on Food Network called Ace of Cakes. Apparently, the guy (Duff) came and visited CHOA and did a cake for the AFLAC floor. Piper and I had discharged the day before so we wont be in it, but all of our wonderful nurses and beautiful cancer buddies will be. So check it out and see our second home since September...its an awesome place that I never wanted to know so well. It airs tomorrow (Thursday night at 10pm EST) and let me know what you guys think!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really hoping you had a FANTASTIC hair appt... sans kids. You need that time!

    ReplyDelete