Tuesday, June 8, 2010

After a ridiculously long night with a ridiculously little amount of sleep, Piper has begun to perk up. Between antibiotics, vitals, Neupogen drips and platelet transfusions...I think her grand total was maybe 4 hours. Ugh. Like I said yesterday, her cultures came back positive for a bacterial infection and today they put a name with it that I will never be able to repeat. Needless to say, they began a 3rd "umbrella" antibiotic that is stronger for bacterial infections as opposed to viral infections. And her cultures they drew last night have not shown any growth of "whats-the-name" bacterial infection so we are hoping tonight's wont either and that they first dose of the antibiotic did the trick. Of course we will continue at least 2 of the 3 for the next 7-10 days. And of course we are really, really hoping her white blood counts will rise quickly. Piper received a blood transfusion today and it almost immediately got her smiling and giggling. So refreshing to hear that after the last week or so. Made me so happy I splurged on a balloon in the Incredibly Awesome gift shop. (seriously, ask Chad how much I spend, er, I mean how much I like this gift shop) I even threw some silly bands in for Linley because I am not above bribing her to love me and miss me as much as I love and miss her.

As always, we wait. One doctor said we will be here through the course of her 7 days of antibiotics and another said that we will have to see what her counts do and also what her cultures continue to grow, or not grow. Amazingly I am becoming accustomed to being told very vague facts and not questioning them too much. Thanks Leukemia for making me a more easy-going person...Someone tell my poor mom and husband.

I will keep posting on her when I know more and when Piper sleeps in her crib alone and not draped across me.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you and sweet Piper - loved holding her in the middle of the night Sunday night. Sending you hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear you got a giggle and smile from her. Those are such precious moments, she really does have an incredibly sweet smile. We love you and are praying for a quick recovery and for her counts to increase with momentum!
    meems

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing. Praying for you today!

    ReplyDelete