Saturday, November 7, 2009

Remission-Achieved

There are now officially no leukemia cells found in Pipers blood marrow. Yes, remission has been achieved and we are very, very happy to have this happen so soon. Unfortunately, we are still in for the rest of her 2 year treatments hoping to kill any leukemis cells which are hiding or not fully developed. She completed the first round of her HD Methotrexate/Leucovorin this week and was sent home until Monday when she is to return to the hospital for the exact same routine next week, although she will probably be hospital-bound from Monday (day 8 of phase2) until Day 28 (the end of phase 2). She did not deal so well with this chemo and we are thinking she is getting some "mucositis" which is ulcers and sores in her GI tract or her throat...she is fussier than usual, drooling alot and is not wanting to eat much at all. As of right now I have her drinking a 2oz bottle every 2 or 3 hrs or so and she is doing good with that. I am even wakening her in the night to give her a small bottle while she is in a dream-like state and eats well. I am glad we will be returning to the hospital on Monday and hope that she will be in good enough shape to begin chemo this week. At this rate, we will be at the hospital for not only Thanksgiving, but for next week when my "little" (6''4) brother returns to Ft Benning from a year in Iraz with the Army. I was so looking forward to seeing him get off that plane and now I have to wait until he makes his way to Ga...but I cant wait to hug that ridiculously tall kid.

We are very happy about Pipers remission but its a mixed happiness. Because of Pipers MLL gene, the chances of her beating the Leukemia if it shows up again is very slim. Finding out about her remission, while WONDERFUL news is almost anti-climatic. My dad asked if it was similar to an athlete who won the biggest competition out there and retires to his room and begins to worry about whether he can win such a big thing 2 times...and yes, that is exactly how I feel.

3 comments:

  1. When I saw the title of your post, I was thrilled! Then I read everything and realized it wasn't nearly the end of your journey. What are the odds of the leukemia coming back? I am still praying and believing that it's gone for good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying that your heart will beat to the rhythm of Matthew 6..and that the Lord will enable you to fully stand in awe of His great miracle.

    Matt6:33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chad and Susanna! I am doing my happy dance again and praising God that Piper is in remission!! I know you both are so relieved!! We are keeping you all in our prayers as you have to go back for these 28 days, I hope it will go by very fast for you! I love the verse Heather posted so just stand firm on it, and know God is the ultimate physician!! Enjoy your weekend at home!!! The Hoovers

    I just realized my comments have my mom's name on them instead of mine.... I always use her computer. So when it says Betsy you are probably thinking who the heck is that? It's me Angela!!

    ReplyDelete